On Sun, 22 Mar 1998, Fred Whipple wrote:

> I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions on the stability of using
> Communicator as an IMAP4 client and the IMAP4 server that comes with RHL

Communicator's IMAP support just isn't very good.  No matter what server
you use, Communicator will foul things up from time to time.  My advice if
you want to use IMAP is to use Pine, which does a lot better job of it.
Of course, POP3 works nicely with a wide variety of mailreaders but has
some limitations.

On the Windows end, I BELIEVE that recent versions of Eudora and Outlook
both support IMAP.  Does anyone confirm or deny this for sure?

> Or, another email solution involving large mail stores that would be
> accessible from pretty much anywhere (outside of removable media)?

If your network is secure, you can export the mail directory with NFS.
This requires a relatively sniffer-free network, of course (or people can
read and maybe write your mail for you) and it also requires that everyone
run some Unix variant.  It's not suitable for use over the Internet (you
can use it to receive Internet mail, but you should not use it to read
your mail from far away unless you do it by telnetting into one of the
systems on the LAN.  It has the unique advantage that practically any Unix
based mail program will work well with it, and it avoids most of the
limitations of POP3.