William T Wilson wrote:

> Communicator's IMAP support just isn't very good.  No matter what server
> you use, Communicator will foul things up from time to time.

Does this imply that the IMAP server with RHL5 is relatively good?

> On the Windows end, I BELIEVE that recent versions of Eudora and Outlook
> both support IMAP.  Does anyone confirm or deny this for sure?

Windows?  What's Windows?  Doesn't sound like an option to me ;-)

> > Or, another email solution involving large mail stores that would be
> > accessible from pretty much anywhere (outside of removable media)?
>
> If your network is secure, you can export the mail directory with NFS.
> This requires a relatively sniffer-free network, of course (or people can
> read and maybe write your mail for you) and it also requires that everyone
> run some Unix variant.  It's not suitable for use over the Internet (you
> can use it to receive Internet mail, but you should not use it to read
> your mail from far away unless you do it by telnetting into one of the
> systems on the LAN.  It has the unique advantage that practically any Unix
> based mail program will work well with it, and it avoids most of the
> limitations of POP3.

The major problem here being that the 'network' is the Internet.  That is, my
mail access at work is great with the network... but trying to bring that mail
home with me can get very very bulky (i.e., from this email list).  I'm
looking for a good way to access the mail on my workstation disk, and since I
can point Netscape to my nsmail directory remotely via IMAP, in theory this is
a great solution.  I'm hoping for something as convenient as that, though not
expecting too much...

I've tried SMB mounting my home dir. over the Internet, and that has some
nifty applications -- however, when you have a RedHat General Mailing List
directory over 1MB, trying to use that locally is unfortunately unrealistic.
Until, that is, I get that cable modem! :)

    -Fred