I am tring to write a perl script that will add a user and set up their
password. I have no problem adding the user, using a system call to the
useradd command.  I am tring to set the password like this:

open(PASSWD, "| passwd " . $username);
print PASSWD $password . "\n";
print PASSWD $password . "\n";
close(PASSWD);

and is not working.  it gives me a conversation error.  Has anyone
had success doing this? or know what else I need to put in there?  I have
done the same type thing with other commands, like htpasswd, and they
worked fine.

Thanks,
Bryan Opfer