Comments inline.

Regards,
Gustavo

On 10/4/16, 22:16, "Patrik Fältström" <p...@frobbit.se> wrote:

>>> I claim you can not have such normative references.
>>
>> Based on your comments, my understanding is that you object to having
>>such normative reference(s) if the I-D is a standards track document,
>>but you would be ok if is informational, correct?
>
>That is my *personal* view, but is ultimately defined by the IETF at time
>of last call.
>
>>> This because the rules might change by whatever processes ICANN use,
>>>and
>>> for IETF it is important to know that/whether the rules are
>>>interoperable
>>> with whatever the current version of IDNA2008 explain or not.
>>>
>>> This of course is one of the issues that is ultimately to be validated
>>> during last call of the document.
>>>
>>> Now when I read it I also must point out that you do not follow the
>>> terminology in RFC7719. That you redefine terms is not good. That will
>>> absolutely lead to confusion. Example, that you instead of using the
>>>term
>>> in RFC7719 that is "Label", you say "DNL".
>>
>> DNL is a subset of Label as defined in RFC7719, I am going to update
>>the definition to make this clear.
>
>But the main problem is that you do not use the RFC7719 terminology. You
>use your own terms. It makes the document extremely hard to read and
>understand.
>
>There is a reason why I supported RFC7719 strongly and why the community
>wanted it. It is because people should use it.
>
>Please do!

I reviewed the glossary, and with the update to the DNL definition in the
latest version, I don’t see any other term/acronym that is being redefined
from RFC7719. Please let me know if I missing any other term/acronym.

>>> If you look at 5.2.1, there is no wording there (for example) that
>>> indicate who is to calculate all permutations of the possible domain
>>> names and who do the repeated matching tries?
>>
>> Registries calculate the permutations of possible domain names using
>>their published IDN tables, basically the same way as during general
>>availability and this is not related to the TMCH, therefore this does
>>not belong in this document.
>
>It is absolutely part of the TMCH. SSAC have even said that a better
>solution is to have the receiving end of the path do the calculations
>than the sending part. You require the registrars to have knowledge about
>all permutations possible, in all scripts, and then you have to send the
>whole set of names to do the notifications.
>
>I.e. this design is from my perspective broken, and should not have been
>accepted in ICANN in the first place, and the question is whether IETF
>should accept it. Maybe as an informational RFC of course as it describes
>the situation.

I respectfully disagree; I don't think the handling of variants is part of
the TMCH. Registries and Registrars handle variants in periods where the
TMCH is not involved, for example, general availability.

As of now, there are no universal IDN tables used by all gTLDs, the
authoritative source for IDN tables and policies is each Registry.

The TM notice acknowledgement is per domain name *effectively allocated*.
The Registry Agreements of the new gTLDs supporting variant activation
require the Registries to block variants by default, and activate them if
requested by the Registrar; therefore the Registrar knows a-priori the
variants to be effectively allocated because the Registrar trigger the
allocation.

>>> Part of the confusion is of course that the whole ICANN TMCH process
>>>call
>>> the transformation function that is applied to a string a "matching
>>> algorithm". In reality what you always do when you have two strings
>>>that
>>> are to be compared are:
>>>
>>> 1. Transform string A to some normalized form A', which might lead to
>>> more than one A'
>>> 2. Transform string B to some normalized form B', which might lead to
>>> more than one B'
>>> 3. Compare A' and B' and repeat for every version of A' and B'
>>
>> This is the idea behind the design. The design is documented in several
>>documents: [Claims50], [QLP-Addendum], [RPM-Requirements] and this I-D.
>
>Then please do explain it as one transformation step and one comparison
>step. They are even done by different parties.

I am not sure what is the issue here, but maybe the following example
could help me understand the issue.

For 1, the Trademark Validator (TMV) receives a trademark (e.g. "cafe
cafe"), and transforms it to "cafe-cafe" and "cafecafe". From the
Registry's perspective, the TMCH is a blackbox that says: please show a
claims notice for "cafe-cafe" and "cafecafe". This transformation
algorithm is defined in the [Matching Rules] document, which is not part
of this draft.

For 2, the Registrar tells the Registry that the Registrant wants to
register "cafe-cafe". The Registry Agreement has the rules regarding which
labels can be registered.

My understanding is that your comment regarding repeat for every version
of 'A' and 'B' in 3 is related to variants, and I provided an explanation
regarding variants above.

If there is an issue that I cannot see, could you please provide text to
solve this in the draft?

>>> The algorithm ICANN has specified in the "matching rules" document is
>>> me more a "transformation" mechanism that someone have the
>>>responsibility
>>> to implement, while the comparison is character by character (in what
>>> charset?). And in reality what is said in the I-D is that labels in A'
>>> and B' must be valid domain name labels (and even A-labels, which
>>> confuses me as there is an 1:1 mapping between A-label, and U-label,
>>>but
>>> thats a detail).
>>
>> This I-D describes an atomic comparison, which
>> is basically a single A-label vs a single A-label, in case of IDNs.
>
>No, as I explain above, it explains one transformation step and then one
>comparison.
>
>> All the labels included in the data files published
>> by the TMDB are either an A-label or a NR-LDH labels. The data files
>>defined in the
>> draft use code points from the US-ASCII repertoire only. The HTTP
>>server of the
>> TMDB defines the encoding of the datafile using the Content-Type
>>header, therefore
>> I think there is no issue with the comparison of labels.
>
>Well, if you do comparison according to what DNS does, then it is case
>insensitive for the A-Z octets, and then byte by byte for the other
>octets. Or is it octet by octet? Or?
>
>Is that what you use?

The domains allocated by the Registry could be activated in the DNS,
therefore the comparison is done according to what the DNS does. The
labels are either A-label or NR-LDH, and RFC5890 says: Traditional LDH
labels already have a notion of equivalence: within that list of
characters, uppercase and lowercase are considered equivalent.... Matches
between a pair of A-labels, using normal DNS case-insensitive matching
rules.

I am going to add text to the I-D clarifying this.

>>> I do not see this specified in the I-D. And how it is to be
>>>implemented.
>>
>> This is defined in the RPM requirements document, and I don¹t think
>>that is a good idea to define the same thing in two documents.
>
>Obviously I feel your document do not explain how variant calculations
>come into the state diagram of yours, specifically together with the
>transformation step I describe above that you claim the registrar
>(sending side) must do.
>
>> I am going to move the [Claims50],
>> [QLP-Addendum] and [RPM-Requirements] to the normative reference
>>section, because I think that they are required in order to have the
>>complete picture of
>> the TMCH, my mistake for not including those in the normative
>>references before.
>
>Ok.
>
>>> If this is to be a standards track document (which it looks like), I
>>>must
>>> object to such normative references. Up to the last call
>>> process/procedures to say something about of course.
>>
>> Based on your comments, it appears that this
>> I-D should be an informational document, and I have no objections for
>>making
>> this I-D an informational document. This I-D is included in
>> draft-ietf-regext-launchphase (standards track) as a normative
>>reference, and is
>> my understanding that is possible to include an informational RFC as a
>>normative reference in an standards track document, @chairs please
>>correct me if
>> I am wrong.
>
>When I was an AD, that was not possible. And that is the whole point with
>Standards Track. To implement it you do only rely on documents that have
>a well known change process that is accepted and documented. Some
>organizations (IETF and ISO etc) do have agreements how to make normative
>references between each others documents. I do not think IETF and ICANN
>do.
>
>My view, my personal view, is that the documents you reference
>normatively are not stable enough to be normative references in an IETF
>Standards Track Document (even a few hops away). The process for changing
>them in ICANN is not even near as predictive as the IETF Standards Track
>Process.
>
>Why is this turned an I-D/RFC in the first place btw?

At the time, it was suggested that the technical aspects of the TMCH
should be specified as an I-D, and this I-D is now part of the base
registry agreement, therefore having a stable reference is important.