James,

On 2017-08-11 19:27, Gould, James wrote:

> launch phases are not meant to be a method of grouping domain
> names like premium domain names.

Says who? As I pointed out in previous e-mails, the launch phase
extension spec's wording

  "Domain names may be made available
   only in unique launch phases, whilst remaining unavailable for
   concurrent launch phases."

clearly suggests otherwise.

Aside from premium domain names, there are other examples where such a
grouping may be necessary, such as when phases are used to introduce new
IDN tables, or to make certain names available only to certain eligible
registrants when a TLD is first launched.
Determining the right phase for a name with a single EPP command should
be possible in such scenarios.

> I view overlapping launch phases as
> a corner case that is already handled by
> draft-ietf-regext-launchphase.

It is, but obviously not in a way that's satisfactory for registrars or
registries. Trial-and-error probing for the right phase isn't a solution
I'd deem suitable.

Best regards,

Thomas

--
TANGO REGISTRY SERVICES® is a product of:
Knipp Medien und Kommunikation GmbH