Building on Andy's comment...

It may help to explain (perhaps even in the document) where the tilde character
came from. I didn't want to use a character with a URI-reserved value, so that
led to looking at the list of unreserved characters from Section 2.3 of RFC
3986. Here's the description:

unreserved  = ALPHA / DIGIT / "-" / "." / "_" / "~"

ALPHA and DIGIT are out because they are commonly used in the identifiers
themselves. I'm pretty sure, but not 100% certain, that "-" (HYPHEN MINUS)
falls into the same category, which is why I changed from using that character
between the -00 and -01 versions of the individual submission version of this
document. That leaves ".", "_", or "~". If any one of these is better than the
others I'm perfectly willing to make a change.

Scott