On 4/4/23, 12:33 PM, "Andrew Newton" <a...@hxr.us <mailto:a...@hxr.us>> wrote:

On Tue, Apr 4, 2023 at 9:20 AM Hollenbeck, Scott
<shollenb...@verisign.com <mailto:shollenb...@verisign.com>> wrote:

> [SAH] Nit: as alluded to by Jasdip above, RFC 7231 has been obsoleted by RFC
> 9110.
>

> The 501 text is 9110 is consistent with 7231, but I don’t think it’s limited
> to an invalid method. If the operative text is “the server does not support
> the functionality required to fulfill the request”, the response can be
> returned for *any* condition in which the server does not support the
> functionality required to fulfill the request. It doesn’t say that “the
> server does not support the requested method”. I still believe that 501 would
> be the best response.

After rereading the text, I agree with Scott.

[JS] I think it is the second sentence in RFC 9110's description of 501 "The
501 (Not Implemented) status code indicates that the server does not support
the functionality required to fulfill the request. This is the appropriate
response when the server does not recognize the request method and is not
capable of supporting it for any resource." that probably threw us off since an
RDAP server does recognize the GET method and could serve a subset of the REST
endpoints (resources) for an extension. But, if we want to just go by the first
sentence, I agree we can stick with 501.

Jasdip