michael chang wrote:
On 8/8/05, David Masover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hans Reiser wrote:

David Masover wrote:

Raymond A. Meijer wrote:

On Monday 8 August 2005 13:32, Hemiplegic Menehune wrote:

Its already as stable as any other fs on my systems and recovers
better than most when my battery runs out. Any idea when it will make
it into the stable 2.6 kernel?

If only it had a resizer :(

Resizer isn't such a big deal.  I can usually find enough backup for
enough of what I want, and I usually get sizes right the first time.

I want a resizer (or at least a converter so I can convert to
ResierFS, resize, and reconvert back) because I have a dual-boot WinXP
and Linux/ReiserFS 3.6 system, which I really want to convert to
Reiser4.

That's about my situation.

I don't mind putting XP on a FAT partition so I can squeeze

Dear God, no! Learn to use ntfsresize. It doesn't even require that you defragment first -- it will defragment an NTFS partition in order to shrink it, then set a flag that tells Windows to run its equivalent of fsck on the next boot.

The only reason for using VFAT would be if you have a lot of large files shared between Windows/Linux -- Captive is slow. But I'd rather have a fast Windows and a slow (mostly unused) Captive any day.

it as much as necessary, but only if I can resize my Resier4 partition
as necessary (I don't mind putting at the top of my HD though, atm...)

I eventually figured out how to resize stuff properly. But, what I'd like to be able to do is grow any partition both ways. I don't care so much about ntfsresize, since I keep my Windows partition near the front of the disk (to boost the speed of Windows -- for Linux, I have Reiser), but I'd like to be able to move the beginning of the FS -- either backwards, to grab unused Windows space, or forwards, to give space back to Windows.

But, without that, there's always LVM. It will fragment your partition, at a level below the FS, but it will let you grow and shrink stuff any way you like, including onto new devices. But I don't do that, because I doubt I'm wrong about how much each will grow, and I like performance and software RAID, neither of which is easy with LVM.

And, of course, there's a ludicrously long and dangerous route -- create two dm_linear devices that overlap, dd from one to the other to move an FS backwards, then grow it once it's on the second device. If only the Device-Mapper modules were documented!

What I want is the repacker, beacuse performance does steadily degrade
on my Reiser4 systems, eventually getting worse than Reiser3,

I am skeptical that it gets worse than V3, unless it is because we
haven't put in all the bitmap optimizations we did for V3.  I wish I
knew how to measure it.....

Me too.  It's fairly subjective on my part, so maybe not.  After all,

Is there a way to count the number of jumps in a file, and the
distance of those jumps when reading a file?  Could the sum or product
of these be some sort of measure of performance (provided that putting
part of a file at the beginning and another part at the end of a disk
don't actually improve performance in some twisted way due to using
different heads simultaneously or something)?

Yeah, that'd be a bit unreliable. Even on desktop machines, we're getting something called NCQ, meaning the really severely fragmented files won't be quite as slow as you'd predict. Also, aside from the different heads, there's a striped RAID -- also within reach of a desktop power user like myself.