Perhaps the same thing that Judge Wilkinison and the unanimous Fourth Circuit panel was thinking in the recent Simpson case, I'm afraid.

----- Original Message -----
From: Ed Brayton
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2005 10:53 AM
Subject: Re: More Discrimination Against Wiccans

Marty Lederman wrote:
According to this article (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050526/NEWS01/505260481), an Indiana judge has prohibited a pair of divorced parents from exposing their 9-year-old son to Wiccan beliefs and rituals.  Both parents practice Wicca, and both strongly oppose the court's restriction.  The court's order apparently was based on the recommendation of a domestic relations bureau, which was concerned about the "discrepancy between Ms. Jones and Mr. Jones' lifestyle and the belief system adhered to by the parochial school [that the child attends]. . . . Ms. Jones and Mr. Jones display little insight into the confusion these divergent belief systems will have upon (the boy) as he ages," the bureau said in its report.

I just wrote about this on my blog. It's the most obvious and blatant free exercise violation I can ever recall seeing. What on earth was this judge thinking?

Ed Brayton

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

Please note that messages sent to this large list cannot be viewed as private.  Anyone can subscribe to the list and read messages that are posted; people can read the Web archives; and list members can (rightly or wrongly) forward the messages to others.