Say that Directive #78 had a ban on specifically religious attire.  (That sort
of classification does happen.  Pennsylvania, like some other states, has a
statute that forbids public school teachers from wearing religious garb * a
statute that both the district and appellate court mention in Webb for
support.)

As per what Professor Cruz said earlier, is there widespread agreement that
this rule would be invalid under the Smith/Lukumi Free Exercise Clause?

I certainly think so.  But I have a hard time reconciling this with Cooper v.
Eugene Sch. Dist., 480 U.S. 942 (1987), where the Supreme Court dismissed a
challenge to an Oregon statute that forbade public school teachers from wearing
religious dress.  Does anyone know what to make of Cooper in this post-Smith
day and age?

Best,
Chris

______________________
Christopher C. Lund
Assistant Professor of Law
Mississippi College School of Law
151 E. Griffith St.
Jackson, MS  39201
(601) 925-7141 (office)
(601) 925-7113 (fax)
Papers: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=363402

>>> dc...@law.usc.edu 4/8/2009 10:24 AM >>>

I don't understand why counsel would not have argued starting with the
complaint that a rule against wearing *religious* symbols or attire was
not a "neutral law of general applicability" and thus should receive
strict scrutiny under the federal Free Exercise Clause.

David B. Cruz
Professor of Law
University of Southern California Gould School of Law
699 Exposition Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0071
U.S.A.