Doug's concerns are certainly legitimate ones, and I suspect few would disagree
with the propositions that:

(a) a specific religious exclusion like a garb statute is more worrisome than
"neutral" laws under Smith (as the Police Directive in Webb apparently was), and
(b) courts should certainly be very interested in any evidence that such a
statute or regulation is being enforced selectively.  The potential that a
hoary garb statute can be ignored most of the time and then selectively
enforced due to biases of particular officials is troubling, and certainly
proof that this was happening ought to result in a finding of a constitutional
violation.

How much enforcement and/or retention of a garb statute or the like would turn
on hostility versus honest commitment to separationism is an empirical
question.  I am always a little skeptical of the idea that in America there are
significant numbers of communities where significant numbers of government
officials or citizens are hostile to religion in all its forms, though I'm sure
there are quite a few who are hostile to conservative forms of religiosity or
to specific views.  I don't really know how to answer the empirical question,
but I don't disagree with Doug that there is some real and fairly general
hostility out there.  I suppose I'm a bit less suspicious on this front than
Doug, but Doug is admittedly in a better position to make the empirical
judgment than I am.

I think the best case for the propriety of a religion-specific exclusion might
be something like this: a "no religious garb or symbols" rule applied to public
school teachers in a community that is largely religiously homogenous; i.e. the
teachers who choose to wear symbols of their religious commitments will pretty
much all be wearing Christian symbols.  In such a setting, I think
Establishment Clause concerns are pretty significant and the indicia of
religious hostility pretty low.  (In contrast, the balance changes if the
community and the teachers' religious affiliations are more mixed).  But even
there, one could imagine the counterargument that the school district's
legitimate concerns could be more properly addressed through some religiously
neutral dress code rule.

John Taylor,
WVU Law

>>> Douglas Laycock <layco...@umich.edu> 4/9/2009 10:49 AM >>>

I think that hostility to religion in general, or to conservative religion in
general, or to all religions that are in conflict with the secular culture --
the reach of the bias will vary from person to person -- is a large part of why
these laws stay on the books and why some administrators seek to vigorously
enforce them and quite probably, other administrators don't much care.
This is not to say that an honest commitment to separation is not also part of
the explanation.  But so is real hostility.
Quoting John Taylor <john.tay...@mail.wvu.edu>:

> [...]
> this is the district court decision in Nichol v ARIN Int. Unit 28,
> 268 F.Supp.2d 536 (W.D. Pa. 2003), where an elementary school
> instructional assistant successfully challenged Pa's religious garb
> statute.  (I think this case is cited in Eugene's casebook.)
>
> 5)  The wild card, if there is one, is Locke v. Davey.  To me, at
> least, it is not crazy to think religious garb statutes, etc. could
> be seen as a manifestation of a good faith commitment to
> separationist values and should not be treated as "religious
> persecution" by analogy to Lukumi.  If one reads Davey broadly as
> standing for the idea that cases about "excluding religion" (a la
> Nelson Tebbe) should be reviewed more deferentially than religious
> hostility cases, perhaps religious garb statutes and the like could
> be OK.
>
> 6)  But (5) is a pretty broad reading of Davey, which can be limited
> to the funding context, etc. as Doug Laycock and others have argued.
> And of course I understand that many on the list would be skeptical
> that courts can properly decide to vary the stringency of their
> review based on how suspicious they find the context to be when
> religious activity is singled out for exclusion.
>
> John Taylor
> WVU Law

> Say that Directive #78 had a ban on specifically religious attire.
> (That sort of classification does happen.  Pennsylvania, like some
> other states, has a statute that forbids public school teachers from
> wearing religious garb - a statute that both the district and
> appellate court mention in Webb for support.)
>
> As per what Professor Cruz said earlier, is there widespread
> agreement that this rule would be invalid under the Smith/Lukumi Free
> Exercise Clause?
>
> I certainly think so.  But I have a hard time reconciling this with
> Cooper v. Eugene Sch. Dist., 480 U.S. 942 (1987), where the Supreme
> Court dismissed a challenge to an Oregon statute that forbade public
> school teachers from wearing religious dress.  Does anyone know what
> to make of Cooper in this post-Smith day and age?
>
> Best,
> Chris
>
> ______________________
> Christopher C. Lund
> Assistant Professor of Law
> Mississippi College School of Law
> 151 E. Griffith St.
> Jackson, MS  39201
> (601) 925-7141 (office)
> (601) 925-7113 (fax)
> Papers: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=363402

> I don't understand why counsel would not have argued starting with the
> complaint that a rule against wearing *religious* symbols or attire was
> not a "neutral law of general applicability" and thus should receive
> strict scrutiny under the federal Free Exercise Clause.
>
> David B. Cruz
> Professor of Law
> University of Southern California Gould School of Law

Douglas Laycock
Yale Kamisar Collegiate Professor of Law
University of Michigan Law School
625 S. State St.
Ann Arbor, MI  48109-1215