I find all that Alan says helpful, and what Eugene adds in his later
message is also helpful.  A couple of reactions:

1.  Alan's concerns, I think, largely apply (and are meant to apply)
whether the religious garb is "banned" by a religion specific rule or by
some more general policy of the sort at issue in the Webb case.  (Thus
the reference to the wrongness of Smith).  I hadn't tried to get into
that, though I suppose it is correct (and I think Alan would agree) that
from the standpoint of a governmental employee who feels a religious
obligation to dress in a certain manner, the difference between being
burdened by a "neutral and generally applicable law" and a
"religion-specific ban motivated by honest separationist concerns" would
not matter very much.  I know that Alan has tried in some of his
scholarship to develop a more multi-faceted approach to free exercise
law, so perhaps he would think the analysis should be a little different
based on the character of the law.  But I'm pretty sure he would say
that even a ban resulting from a neutral and generally applicable law
should be constitutionally suspect under the federal free exercise
clause.

2.  So, on Alan's view, teachers generally ought to have a federal free
exercise right to wear religious garb, and legitimate concerns about
improper messages being conveyed should be dealt with via less
restrictive means.  (I see that Eugene has posted something while I was
writing this, seconding Alan's point that less restrictive means are
available like explaining the difference to kids between what teachers
wear out of personal preference and what they wear because the boss
tells them to do so.)  I also very much like Alan's formulation of how
we should approach the question of "private capacity versus official
capacity" in a teacher or other governmental employee by distinguishing
the message conveyed:  incidental messages of religious identity are OK,
messages of "you should believe what I believe" or "what you believe
matters to how I treat you" are not.

3.  In many circumstances, I think Alan and Eugene are clearly right.
As I said before, if one imagines a diverse community where you have
teachers of different faiths it should be easy for students to see the
difference between what is personal to the teacher and what is part of
the official role.  And I'm also not really worried about the situation
where you have a pretty homogenous community and the occasional teacher
with a minority religious perspective wearing religious garb.  For
example, a teacher who wore a headscarf of the sort discussed in Webb is
not going to be seen by anyone as "speaking for the state."  (Though I
don't think the courts recognize this with great explicitness, I believe
social context matters a great deal when we're deciding what counts as
"endorsement.")  And in those situations, I agree that a school would be
unjustified in restricting the teacher's religious expression rather
than talking to the kids (and parents, if they complained).

4.  I do find it a closer question, in any event, whether a school
might justifiably take stronger steps in situations where "private
expression" by teachers would tend to reinforce majoritarian religious
norms.  (Perhaps this kind of thing seems like a bigger problem when one
teaches in WV rather than California!)  There are plenty of places where
any religious garb or symbols worn by teachers will be uniformly
Christian and will be worn by most teachers, and I don't think that is a
trivial concern from an EC standpoint.  If we are talking about small
crosses or the like, which would probably be the norm as Eugene
suggests, maybe that's not problematic and kids ought to be expected to
understand that not everything a teacher wears is "official."  Yet I do
think the role of public school teacher is one where lines between
private and government expression are not easily drawn, and schools
ought to have some leeway in dealing with this.

To give a fairly extreme example, imagine a school where a teacher (10%
of teachers, 40% of teachers?) wears a T-shirt every Friday printed with
"John 3:16" in large letters.  (Yes, I know that wearing a T-shirt would
be considered unprofessional attire and so this is a bit far fetched,
but perhaps "casual Fridays" are practiced with a vengeance at this
school!)  Now, perhaps I am idiosyncratic, but I confess to thinking
that the EC concerns here are sufficiently significant that a school
should be able to do more than simply point out to kids that there is a
difference between what teachers choose to wear and what the boss tells
them to wear.  (Now Eugene is going to say, "Well, if it's casual
Fridays maybe a bunch of teachers will wear Grateful Dead T-shirts and
no one thinks the government is endorsing the Grateful Dead.  So my
point stands."  OK, I grant that makes the question closer.  But to come
at it from the other direction, does it matter if lots of the teachers
wear the John 3:16 shirt?  If they do so in a coordinated fashion?  I
think O'Connor talks somewhere -- in Pinette, I think? - about the idea
of overwhelmingly one-sided religious expression in public forums and
how that worries her.  Perhaps I'm on a similar wavelength here.)  This
seems, at least to me, quite a bit different from the Muslim teacher who
wears a head scarf.  Why would that be so?  Perhaps it is the sense that
wearing the scarf is religiously obligatory in a way that wearing the
John 3:16 shirt presumably is not.  Perhaps it is the sense that the
shirt is inherently proselytizing in a way that the headscarf is not --
that, to use Alan's terminology, it communicates the message that "you
should believe what I believe."  Perhaps it is the difference between
religious expression which reinforces majoritarian religious norms and
that which does not.  Perhaps there are other reasons.  In any event, I
confess to thinking that there are situations where a school ought to be
able to restrict what a teacher can wear in the pursuit of Establishment
Clause values.  I certainly do not claim to have a fully worked out
theory of when this is so; and I recognize that even if I had the worked
out theory, there could be another gap in turning that theory into an
judicially administrable rule.  Perhaps someone more sympathetic to
Smith than Alan is -- and perhaps Eugene is such a person -- would say
that extreme examples could be adequately remedied through a religiously
neutral rule, but that a religion specific approach is never proper.

5) I agree with Eugene that it is much harder, and perhaps impossible,
to justify any religion-specific garb ban if Lukumi applies; and my
earlier remarks were in the vein of exploring what might follow from a
broad reading of Davey.  I confess to having more sympathy than does
Eugene for the idea that there some "middle path" between Lukumi and
Smith in cases about "excluding religion," though I'm not a fan of the
specific reasoning (such as it was) in Davey or even necessarily of its
result.  But these questions are larger than I want to go into here, and
indeed the amount of time I have spent on this discussion already leaves
me marveling at the productivity of all those who post here on a regular
basis!

If anyone persevered through all of that, I thank you for your
patience.

Best,

JET

>>> "Brownstein, Alan" <aebrownst...@ucdavis.edu> 4/9/2009 2:31 PM >>>

I would describe the problem in a slightly different way than John does
although I think his break down of the issues is quite helpful.
In most cases wearing religious garb fulfills religious obligations and
incidentally communicates a message identifying the person wearing the
garb as a member of a particular faith community. This is true for
government employees as well as non-government employees. As a general
matter, the decision to wear religious garb should be protected as part
of the free exercise of religion. If Smith does not recognize such a
right, the problem is with Smith.
What states, and courts, are correctly concerned about is the
government employee going beyond the incidental message of religious
identity communicated by wearing religious garb and communicating two
other messages, “You should adopt my religious beliefs” or “Whether or
not you hold the same religious beliefs that I do will influence the way
I act in my official capacity towards you,” to clients, people receiving
services from the employee, and subordinate employees.
I think there are more effective ways to prevent these other messages
from being communicated (ways that are less burdensome to religious
liberty) than a ban on the wearing of religious garb. To the extent that
such mechanisms are in place and training provided to make sure that
these other messages are not communicated, the prohibition against
religious garb becomes increasingly difficult to defend.
Alan Brownstein