The PDA makes denial of health insurance benefits relating to pregnancy sex discrimination without regard to whether an employer denies men coverage for some other condition that affects only men. Denying coverage for a prescription drug that prevents pregnancy, a risk to which only women are exposed, may therefore be sex discrimination under the PDA even if men are not denied coverage for vasectomies. Whether the cost of prevention of pregnancy, as distinct from the health related cost of pregnancy, counts as one of the risks and burdens associated with pregnancy the PDA was intended to relieve women from bearing under employer provided health insurance and other employee benefit programs might better frame the question a court ultimately will have to answer.

Michael R. Masinter                      3305 College Avenue
Professor of Law                         Fort Lauderdale, FL 33314
Nova Southeastern University             954.262.6151 (voice)
masin...@nova.edu                        954.262.3835 (fax)

Quoting "Vance R. Koven" <vrko...@gmail.com>:

Whatever else may be right or wrong with Gilbert or the statute, Griswold
was a constitutional claim based on the flat prohibiting by legislation of a
form of birth control for women, whereas the EEOC finding in Belmont Abbey
is a matter of what the college will fund as part of its private health
insurance. Presumably women are still free to obtain contraception on their
own nickel.
Have we ascertained that the Belmont Abbey insurance policy, and the
college's internal policy, permitted men to obtain condoms and/or more
medically-oriented forms of birth control (e.g. vasectomies, spermicides)?
If so, then there's a live sex-discrimination issue. If not, then the EEOC
decision may be subject to question.

Vance