If Belmont Abbey stops providing health care coverage to its employees, it will be because it chose to stop providing it, not because it was forced to do so. If the administrators of the college believe that it is preferable to leave all employees uninsured to prevent the possibility that one of them might purchase birth control pills subsidized by a health insurance plan, then it really doesn't matter whether its motivation is rooted in religious doctrine or the belief that birth control disrupts evolution; either way the administrators make a deliberate choice. That such a choice is one an employer can make and impose on its employees is part of what sets health care in the United States apart from most of the developed world. I leave to a more appropriate thread the discussion of whether that's a bug or a feature.

Michael R. Masinter                      3305 College Avenue
Professor of Law                         Fort Lauderdale, FL 33314
Nova Southeastern University             954.262.6151 (voice)
masin...@nova.edu                        954.262.3835 (fax)

Quoting Will Esser <willes...@yahoo.com>:

My understanding is that college administration discovered (after a change in insurance providers) that the new insurance policy covered abortion, sterilization, and contraception.  Since all three are contrary to Catholic teaching, the college administration immediately  requested its private health insurer to eliminate coverage for these items.  I'm told that North Carolina law has a specific state exemption which permits a religious employer to provide health insurance which does not cover these items, so as a matter of NC state law, the college was on firm ground.  In fact, but for the change in health insurance providers, I do not believe these items would have ever been covered to begin with.

(And of course, there is no prohibition on private individuals paying for excluded services on their own; it's just a question of whether a religious employer should be required to pay for services or items which it believes are morally objectionable).

At the end of the day, it really creates an interesting dynamic because there is no federal or state law which requires Belmont Abbey to offer priavte health insurance coverage.  If there is a holding that Belmont Abbey cannot offer health insurance coverage without covering abortion, sterilization and contraception, then Belmont Abbey will simply be forced to stop offering health insurance coverage for its employees (a result which would more adversely affect staff members, than the faculty who brought the challenge in the first place).

Will

Will Esser --- Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam
Charlotte, North Carolina

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark;
the real tragedy is when men are afraid of the light.
Plato (428-345 B.C.)