Well, the premise of the constitutionality of libel law -- whether
under an actual malice standard, a negligence standard, or a (possibly
permissible) strict liability standard -- is that false statements of fact lack
constitutional value; the mens rea standard is there chiefly to make sure that
libel law doesn't unduly deter true statements of fact.

        Here, we don't have false statements of fact.  That the emotional
distress tort requires recklessness or purpose as to another matter (the
tendency of the speech to create severe emotional distress) doesn't validate it
by analogy to libel law -- libel law asks not about mental state in the
abstract, but about the mental state as to the *false statement of fact*.

        Again, if one wants to argue for an exception for speech, whether
opinion, true statement, or false statement, that inflicts severe emotional
distress -- or just does so near a funeral, or just does so with regard to a
recently dead person, or what have you -- that's fine, and the question would
then be what the exact boundaries of the exception are, and how the exception
can be defended.  But libel law does not offer a helpful analogy.