Under international law, freedom of speech can be limited when it impinges
the rights of others provided the limitations are part of the law of the
country.  Surely that is sound principle that is in fact at least at part at
work in many 1st Amendment speech cases that would otherwise be even more
incoherent.

There are interests other than defamation and triggers other than falsity,
regardless of Eugene's fondness for staying so close to certain precedents
and certain key factors or rules.

As we step into uncharted territory, I think the court has time and again
demonstrated a willingness to find a new principle to justify its decision.
 So even if Eugene's reading of prior cases is correct (I think it is
correct as far as it goes, though a bit too cramped), I don't think that
determines the case.  Nor should it.

I think hate speech impinges on the rights of others in much the same way as
defamation does and furthermore has societal dimensions beyond the
individual.  That is, the speech of some is limited by the rights of others
and the interests of society.  We may treat hate speech as protected speech,
but it is not so protected that we cannot recognize that a hate motivation
proven by hate speech can enhance a criminal penalty.

Here, the disruption is invasive and the content of the speech is not the
target of the tort -- the target of the tort is the right of privacy of the
people attending the funeral.  That is an established, protected right.  The
content of the words, as in the hate speech category, affect the result, but
are not the essence of the invasion.

If we look at what is at stake for first amendment speech principles, and
the other interests at stake, I think it plausible that the court will see
this as not bound by Eugene's reading of precedent, but rather as yet
another case of a different stripe with a different calculus applied.

As Eugene has repeatedly opined, the current free speech jurisprudence is
largely based on categorizing the speech -- but that is not all there is to
it.  One need not create another type of speech that is excluded from
protection here -- or at least not in the categorical way I usually think of
such exclusions -- but rather all that is needed is a recognition that in
fact speech is not an absolute right and it may be restricted by a wide
range of factors.  Thinking of the tort of invasion of privacy as a TPM
restriction seems to make much more sense than treating it as strictly
analogous to the defamation cases.

Steve

--
Prof. Steven Jamar