It doesn't make sense to call religious truth claims offensive (although that
is common parlance), but it does make sense to say that an employee who doesn't
believe such a claim should not have to display the claim or its symbols. The
employee has a legitimate interest in not appearing to promote what he
considers to be a false belief. And this interest should be well within the
religious accommodation protections of Title VII.

Except, apparently, in the Eleventh Circuit.

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 11:47:20 -0500
 Eric Rassbach <erassb...@becketfund.org> wrote:

>I took Alan's example re re Confederate flags etc. to be raising the issue of
>hostile work environment discrimination claims. Of course for such a claim to
>be successful, a lone requirement that employees display something offensive
>would not be enough; you'd have to show some other pattern of discrimination
>on the basis of the protected class at issue. (Wrt the Confederate flag
>example, it is certainly the case that a lot of businesses in the South
>display Confederate battle flags and require their employees to do so; though
>it is probably bars more than banks.)
>
>I think a religious discrimination hostile work environment claim would be
>really hard to make out based on the display of one religion's symbol.
>Competing truth claims are a feature, not a bug, of religious life, so it
>doesn't make sense to call one group's truth claims or the symbols
>representing those truth claims "offensive" or discriminatory per se.

Douglas Laycock
Armistead M. Dobie Professor of Law
University of Virginia Law School
580 Massie Road