The likelier example involves someone driving a truck for "Jesus Is
Lord Carpentry Services" or some such.  Could he demand a transfer to another
task at the company (for which he might not be qualified), or tape over the
slogan on the truck, so that it would no longer be easily recognizable as a
truck belonging to the company?

        If all that is implicated is just a duty of religious accommodation,
then the employee would only get an accommodation if this could be done without
undue hardship -- perhaps fine if he's an office worker who just asks that the
company signs not to be attached to his desk, but not if he wants the company
sign not to be attached to the truck that he drives.  But if requiring everyone
to display such a sign is treated as discrimination (a bit odd, I think,
precisely since the obligation is applied to everyone), then he would have a
categorical right to an exemption, at least unless one somehow concludes that
religion is a BFOQ for that job (a much higher standard).