If you step back from the concrete arguments over accommodation or
discrimination claims, I wonder if we have any set of coherent narratives to
tell about the relationship between law, religion, and commercial activity.
 It seems to me that when we talk about the relationship between religion
and the state we have a pretty clear set of relatively coherent positions
with theocracy on one hand and perhaps strict seperationism on the other
hand.  In between we have accomodationism or some sort of support for
religion as of general civic usefulness (I am thinking here of something
like the original establishment in the Massachusetts constitution).

Are we simply transferring these narratives to the commercial context.  That
is do we have some reason for adopting say a strict seperationist stance
when it comes to the issue of "church and market"?  Alternatively, are we
just engaged in some process by which we decide that a given commercial
situation is "state-like" enough to trigger the church-state concerns that
we have in the case of the government?

A pithier way of raising the issue might be to ask whether we have any
unique theories of church-and-market or whether we are simply extending our
theories of church-and-state by analogy into the marketplace.
Nathan B. Oman
Associate Professor
William & Mary Law School
P.O. Box 8795