From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Douglas Laycock
Sent: Monday, December 02, 2013 12:28 PM
To: 'Law & Religion issues for Law Academics'
Subject: RE: The Establishment Clause, burden on others, the employer mandate,
and the draft

The draft pool was effectively local, as you envision it, through the Civil
War. Each county was given a quota to fill. I think it was nationalized for
World War I, but I don't really know.

It was certainly nationalized by the time of Vietnam. Local boards administered
the classification system, but all those classified I-A went into a national
pool from which draftees were selected. It was called the Selective Service
System, and your draft letter began, "Greetings! You have been selected . . ."

So for every person granted conscientious objector status, your odds of being
drafted went from n over however many million in the denominator to n + 1 over
that denominator. Considered at that stage, the increase was infinitesimal.
Somewhere there was a guy who got drafted who otherwise would not have been,
but it was impossible to identify that person.

Douglas Laycock
Robert E. Scott Distinguished Professor of Law
University of Virginia Law School
580 Massie Road
Charlottesville, VA  22903