I think Steve is right that in the there is a difference between challenging
the legitimacy or religiosity of plaintiffs beliefs and holding that as a legal
matter at some point we will draw the line on extending the protection provided
to beliefs that are grounded in complicity with other people's conduct.
Ginsburg makes this point explicitly in her dissent. Alito pretty much ignores
it. Suppose plaintiff argued that according to their religious beliefs about
complicity they could not contribute to an insurance plan that covered
treatments provided by hospitals or clinics that also provided abortion
services. The only providers covered by a plan they could conscientiously
support would be those who personally and institutionally refused to provide
abortion services. That is more attenuated than Hobby Lobby's claim, but it is
grounded on the same foundation of complicity.

The question to me is whether the correct place to take this attenuation into
account is in the determination of substantial burden or whether it should be
considered in evaluating the government's compelling state interest and whether
there are less restrictive means available to further the state's goals. The
downside of focusing on attenuation in deciding whether there is a substantial
burden is that courts may be more influenced by their doubts as to the
legitimacy or religiosity of belief when they are asked to evaluate the
substantiality of the burden and using substantiality of the burden to control
attenuation may result in some cases where the government wins even though it's
interest is very low and should not be considered weighty enough to justify
even an attenuated burden on religious exercise.

Alan