I am juggling multiple deadlines and will not be responding to responses to
this post or participating in a continuing debate. But the principle of neutral
government incentives can largely reconcile recognizing the church’s right to
funds in cases like Trinity Lutheran with its right to regulatory exemptions
for religious practice.

First, the issue in the founders’ time was whether government could or should
provide special funding – funding not available to secular activities – for the
religious activities of churches. The answer was no, and that remains settled.
None of the current disputes involve that question.

The modern question is whether government can provide neutral funding on
nondiscriminatory criteria for secular services – education in secular
subjects, health care, social services of various kinds – delivered in a
religious environment by a religious institution. Money has the same value to
everyone, so the only way to maintain religiously neutral incentives, with
government neither encouraging nor discouraging individuals or organizations to
become more or less religious, is to fund everybody or nobody – or to choose on
objective and religiously neutral criteria. I agree with Marty that subjective
criteria open the door to discrimination.

If government says it will fund secular services in a religious environment but
not a secular environment, or vice versa, it powerfully encourages providers to
qualify for the funding by making themselves more or less religious as
government demands. Organizations that are fully committed one way or the other
cannot switch and will suffer the resulting discrimination. But organizations
near the line can make themselves more or less religious in order to qualify,
and we see examples of this in the reported cases.

The same analysis applies to tax exemption for religious and secular
non-profits.

The same analysis applies to regulatory exemptions when religious practice
aligns with secular self interest. If a religious objection to tax on secular
income – salaries, investment income, etc. – entitled the objector to a tax
exemption, the anti-tax religion would draw millions of real or feigned
adherents. But that is not the typical exemption case. Most religious practices
are meaningless apart from the religious belief that gives them meaning, and
many are personally burdensome from a secular perspective. Unlike money, the
exemption does not have the same value for everyone.

Making a religious practice illegal, threatening practitioners with jail,
fines, or loss of civil benefits, powerfully discourages that religious
practice. But exempting the religious practice from regulation generally does
not encourage others to adopt it. If I have no desire to practice someone
else’s religion, that fact that an exemption means I could do so without
penalty does not create any desire to practice that other person’s religion.

Of course there are line drawing issues around each of these points, but they
are broadly applicable. Penalizing religion discourages it; exempting it from
regulation generally does not encourage it. Funding secular providers but not
religious providers discourages religion; funding them equally generally does
not encourage it.

This also helps explain why religious and secular private speech should receive
equal treatment, and why government speech should not take positions on
religious questions, either promoting or attacking religious answers to those
questions. Government silence is as close to neutral as we can come.

I first set out these propositions in Religious Liberty as Liberty, 7 J.
Contemp. Legal Issues 349-52 (1996). I elaborate them more discursively in
Substantive Neutrality Revisited, 110 W. Va. L. Rev. 51 (2007).

And as Texas lawyers are still prone to saying at the end of affidavits:
Further deponent sayeth not.

Douglas Laycock
Robert E. Scott Distinguished Professor of Law
University of Virginia Law School
580 Massie Road
Charlottesville, VA 22903
434-243-8546