Pauland I have had a cordial exchange off-list that cleared up any
misunderstandingon our part.  As we all know, emails canbe misunderstood.

Inorder to dispel any ambiguity created by my short response let me simply
saythe following.  I think discerningoriginal intent regarding the religious
liberty clauses is very difficult inall but a few areas for reasons Paul has
stated with great insight.  I can’t recall the places off-hand but have in mind
at least his review of a book on the subject byJack Rakove.  I think Jackson’s
famousline about the dreams of Joseph applies here with even more force here
(again inall but a few areas).  Sandy has madethat point since I wrote.  So a
lot ofMadison (and I’ve read a good bit too) is…a lot of Madison.  I myself see
no clear original intent orprecedential practice that is dispositive as to
these sorts of programs forreasons that the voluminous literature in the area
elaborates in great detail.  For my part, I tend to think of the
questionpresented here as akin to that addressed in Everson, which framed the
issue alongthe lines of Eugene’s queries and I’m not surprised that this
discussion hasalready moved in that direction.  So faras I’m concerned the
holding in Everson points to the proper outcome here—call itplay in the joints
or sensible balancing of provisions that as currentlyunderstood are in tension.

 Regards to all, PatPatrick T. Gillen, JD, PhDAssociate Professor of LawAve
Maria School of Law1025 Commons CircleNaples, FL 34119

    On Sunday, January 17, 2016 6:39 PM, "Finkelman, Paul"