As is obvious, all "neutrality" principles depend on agreement on the baseline.
 When I was teaching courses on the Constitution and the welfare state, I often
began with the UAW food stamp case, in which the majority solemnly asserted
that Congress was simply trying to "level the playing field" in depriving
strikers (and their families) of food stamps, while Justice Marshall was
accurately describing it as part of the vehemently anti-union program of the
newly empowered Republican Party.  This is, of course, the identical debate
surrounding Friedrich.  I think Lewis Powell must be smiling from the grave at
the extent to which the Supreme Court has become rabidly anti-union; others, of
course, will present a quite different analysis, no doubt adopting "neutralist"
language.

It's not that I'm opposed to neutrality arguments; it is, rather, that I rarely
think they will really persuade anyone who begins with a different baseline.
Consider, e.g., whether the United States and the states systematically favor
Christianity by adopting Sunday as the ostensible day of rest.  Surely the
answer is yes.  One of the additions to the new edition of our casebook is
consideration of the fascinating debate during the Jacksonian era about mail
delivery on Sunday, and the proclamation by the Baptist senator who headed the
relevant committee that separation of church and state required that the US be
indifferent to the Christian Sabbath (and thus deliver mail).  It was not until
1912 that Sunday delivery was finally stopped.  Should that have been ruled
unconstitutional then, or now, as a violation of the "neutrality" principle?

What all laws do is put pressure on people to conform with the law, especially
when benefits or burdens are attached.  High taxes, as Ben Carson points out,
makes it harder for religious individuals to tithe, as a practical matter.  So
what?

sandy