Doug writes:

"The cases of the sort Michael describes (and that Chris Lund has described in
public work) are still out there; they still happen. And the cases Paul
Finkelman imagines, in which state RFRAs justify all kinds of discrimination
against gays, are not out there. They have not happened."

If Doug is wrong, I very much would like to know. So I have a few serious
questions:

How frequently have people tried to excuse discrimination against gays and
lesbians by claiming that their religion required them to do so? There are lots
of states that have RFRAs or state constitutional equivalents; how often have
state RFRAs or state constitutions been relied upon in this regard?

I know of the New Mexico wedding photographers, a couple of cake bakers, and at
least one person who did not want to rent out a hall for a same sex ceremony. I
know of some clerks who refused to issue marriage licenses (which strikes me as
the most serious of these occurrences). We all know about the Boy Scouts and
the Dale case, which is still good law, I think, under the U.S. Constitution.

Are LGBT persons being denied access to restaurants and hotels on the basis of
a claim of religious freedom? Are they being fired (or not hired) by employers
other than religious institutions? Are they being denied medical treatment?

To what degree is such discrimination comparable to the racial discrimination
faced by African Americans in the 1950s and before (and perhaps in the 1960s
and later)?

Are there a lot of cases that involve something other than same-sex weddings or
commitment ceremonies?

These are not rhetorical questions. I think the answers are important; and
there may be a lot that I don't know.

Mark

Mark S. Scarberry
Professor of Law