As reflected in my recent article and (with Gordon/Greenawalt/Lupu/Tuttle)
amicus brief, I have become convinced that where RFRA(s) went "wrong" is
when advocates and judges started insisting--mistakenly, in the case of
federal RFRA--that it is more demanding than the pre-*Smith* Free Exercise
doctrine.  Under that pre-*Smith *jurisprudence, the contraception and
antidiscrimination cases would not be close calls.  And if the Court were
to hold (as it should) that RFRA does incorporate the pre-*Smith
*jurisprudence,
and does not go well beyond that law to impose an "exceptionally demanding"
test of the government (as the Court has suggested in *Boerne *and *HL*),
then RFRA (and state RFRAs) will once again become far more palatable to a
much broader coalition.  But of course, as Doug notes, if there's no
prospect of prevailing in the contraception and discrimination cases, then
there won't be much impetus for new RFRAs on the right.