Bob,

Reverse burst is one of my favorite topics!  The TS-64 is probably
designed to operate on the more common of the two standard reverse burst
formats, privately referred to as "Kenwood and the Rest of the World"
format.  This format shifts the phase of the CTCSS tone by 180 degrees
for about 150 milliseconds.  The other format, used exclusively by
Motorola, shifts the CTCSS tone phase by 120 degrees for about 180
milliseconds.

The vibrating reeds respond to both formats with no problems, but the
digital signal processors in modern receivers are (or can be) very picky
about reverse burst phase shift and duration.  In fact, both Kenwood and
Motorola use this incompatibility to denigrate each other's radios as
"worn out" or "using older technology" when trying to sell their own
brand to police and fire departments.  This sales tactic works quite
well, since radios of one brand will seldom mute properly when
communicating with repeaters or portables of the competing brand.

Motorola has made a huge leap forward with their Professional Line of
radios CDM750, HT750, etc., which have the programmable capability to
operate on either reverse burst format, on a channel-by-channel basis.
But, I digress...

I suspect that the reverse burst format used by your TS-64 may be
incompatible with one or more of your system radios.  From your
description of the problem, some radios may not be capable of properly
decoding the reverse burst.  A correctly operating STE function needs to
have the correct format of reverse burst used throughout the system.
More information about reverse burst formats can be found in
TIA/EIA-603.

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> We've discovered something interesting about the TS-64 CTCSS module.
>
> The encoder portion has a built-in reverse burst feature which is not
> defeatable. Problem is, the reverse burst lasts about 150 mS, which is
> long enough for the decoder on the other end to start decoding again.
> This caused some interesting problems for one of our customers with a
> linking system.
>
> Apparently, the reed decoders do real well with reverse burst times of
> 150-160 mS, but that's too long for solid-state decoders.
>
> Anyone have similar experiences?
>
> 73,
> Bob, WA9FBO
> EE, S-COM, LLC

>      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>    * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
>      Service.

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: