On Monday, Jan 26, 2004, at 18:48 America/Denver, Tim Shephard wrote:

> Anyone know of a shareware package to give  you a coverage map when
> you
> enter the radio and terrain data?

I've used one called Radio Mobile, written by a German Ham and
available for free -- in exchange for some "sweat equity" in getting
the terrain data downloaded and struggling through getting it set up to
use that data at first.

http://www.cplus.org/rmw/english1.html

Haven't had a need to fire it up for a year or so... it's probably
gotten better.

Downloading all the terrain data needed definitely requires a broadband
Internet connection.  It's pretty decent software for free.  Terrain
data is available from the USGS for the US, and other areas of the
world I don't know about.

Otherwise, most of the large radio manufacturers sell (very expensive)
software to do terrain/coverage analysis -- usually the big packages do
have more features and better analysis tools, from what I've heard.
(I've never used them.)  RM works well for a generic "Where will this
repeater site cover well/poorly?"... etc.

Have fun,

Nate Duehr, [EMAIL PROTECTED] - WY0X

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: