The need for the specific length is to keep from seeing a false reading on
the power measuring device. If the duplexer is tuned properly and the
transceiver is tuned properly, the length of the cable makes no difference.
The requirement for a specific length of cable is because some people
insist on using a wrong range PA (ie not tuned to the frequency that it is
being used on) and do not understand the complexities of assembling a
system with mistuned components. By selecting a length of feedline, I can
coverup an impedance problem between the transmitter and the duplexer. The
use of the tuned line is to makeup for the inability to properly tune the
RF components. In a properly tuned system the feedline length does not
matter. The feedline is 50 Ohms, the transmitter is 50 Ohms and the
duplexer is 50 Ohms. Everyone is happy.

73
Glenn
WB4UIV