At 05:34 PM 5/3/04 -0500, you wrote:

>Ok, so then what about the transmitters, or is it the transmitters that have
>to be equal?  That is the part that I am missing, because the transmitted
>audio into the voter comes in on 146 Mhz, and exits through a transmitter on
>902 Mhz.
>
>Mathew

First, as Plato the philospoher said, "Let's define our terms".

You have to be careful how you use the word "voter".
To one person it's the unit at the central site that does the
actual on-the-fly selection of best received signal at the
moment.  To another it's one of the outlying receivers.  Either
way, the voting process is fast enough that the system can
select receivers several times each second.

The most common usage is that the term "voter" means the
central selection unit and the term "voting receiver" means the
actual remote receivers that listen to the mobiles and send the
audio back to the voter via point-to-point RF links (420, 902, or
1200mhz), microwave links or wirelines.  Some work is being
done with VOIP but it's very temperamental since the audio has
to arrive at the voter at the same instant, and the IP routing is
fluid and therefore the timing is not consistent from second to
second.

Are you saying that your voting receiver sites listen on 146 and
transmit on 902, then at the voter site there is a stack of 902
receivers and a 146mhz TX?   If so, you need to realize that each
voting receiver site listens to the same 2m frequency (the repeater
input) and transmits on a unique 902mhz link frequency.  At the
main site the link receivers feed the voter whose output talks to the
regular repeater controller (as if it was the regular 2m receiver).
The controller talks to the regular 2m repeater transmitter.

In other words it's a regular repeater with a voting selector added to it,
and my previous statement stands:

 >The comment about the receivers that need to be the same
 >actually extends to the path between the voter chassis and
 >the user - the RXs and the entire path from the RXs to the
 >voter.  The goal is that the voter sees the users audio from
 >multiple locations and the only difference between them is
 >the different RF paths.

Using identical equipment at the receiver sites is simply
an easy way to insure that the voter sees identical audio
characteristics on each voter receiver.  The voter does its
selection based on audio quality - you HAVE to give it
as close to equal audio as you can...

The ideal situation is that one user (let's call him user #1)
listening to another user (let's call him user #2) cannot tell
by listening which receiver user#2 is being heard by, and
cannot tell if user#2 fades out from that receiver and the
voter switches to another receiver or receivers.

My first exposure to voters was when I saw an IMTS
system in around 1980-81 that had 6 receivers, and I
as I stood there I watched the voter "assemble" a
multisyllable word from 4 receivers - and the users never
knew that there were multiple receivers involved.  A
good voter is totally transparent and the users do not
know it exists.

 >There are a couple of voter related articles at
 >www.repeater-builder.com - use the search function for "voter"

Have you read them yet?

<http://www.repeater-builder.com/rbtip/remotereceivers.html>

<http://www.repeater-builder.com/rbtip/votingcomparators.html>

And a manual on a voter intended for the amateur community - read
it for the theory and not the sales pitch:
<http://www.repeater-builder.com/pdf/rvs.pdf>

And a manual on a voter intended for the public safety / military
community - again, read it for the theory and not the sales pitch:
http://www.jps.com/downloads/PDFS/snv12.pdf

Mike WA6ILQ