As a matter of fact I have and DO. The rules are open for interpretation (I'll drop the rules discussion as we build repeaters here). I have a lot of widely varying terrain to cover, exciter power here is about 10 watts ... I can tell the difference... easily, even the users know the difference.

James

Neil McKie wrote:
  I suppose if you are real happy with the thought of a 130 watt
 output repeater, so be it.

  I used to use a 110 watt output mobile on the 2 meter band.  I
 now use a 25 watt mobile.

  At one time, my two meter repeater had a PA deck problem.  We
 changed the operation from the 40 watt output to just the exciter
 = 0.4 watts out.  None of the users complained as they didn't have
 a clue.

  Have you ever tried operating your repeater at minimum power?

  FCC Part 97.313(a)  An amateur station must use the minimum
 transmitter power necessary to carry out desired communications.

  73,

  Neil McKie - WA6KLA

James wrote:

Why do you folks have to ask questions like that. Some users DO have
radios over 100 watts. Some repeater owners DO have voting receive!!
Please just answer the guys question. I know that MOST repeaters ARE
over 50 watts and some even have pre amps on them. A preamp of just 3
dB in theory would make a 50 watt mobile seem as strong as a 100 watt
mobile provided no enviromental factors are effecting either end.

James

Neil McKie wrote:

  Are the repeater users using 130 or 500 watts to get in?  I doubt
 it.

  Neil

"Mr. Edgar McKinney" wrote:

Neil McKie wrote:

  I am curious, why do you need 130 watts?

Me too!

  What is wrong with 50 watts?

50 cant be heard beyond 75 miles. Try 500. The repeater on top of
the
hospital is running 500. Another using 3500 watts.

 I'm putting in a new repeater to replace an old one, but the
 new one is 50 watts output instead of 130. I'm looking for
 suggestions for a Power Amplifier. My preference based on
 everyone I've talked to so far is the TE Systems 1406, but
 I'd like to know what people on this list think.

 Terry

     Service.