From: Mike WA6ILQ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 20:32:20 -0700
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Voters

Have you read the two or three voter articles at www.repeater-builder.com
on the Technical Info page?

>I am looking to install one here.

For what reason?
Some repeater systems that talk further then they can hear decide to
add a voter system to try and match the coverage.  Others add a voter
to improve hand-held coverage inside the existing TX footprint, others
just add a two channel voter at the main RX site to gain some diversity
reception.  What is your reason?

>I am planning on bringing my rx sites back on RF and having the rx
>radios at the voter site interface to a status tone (2175 Hz) circuit
>and then feed the voter.

You are aware that the 2175 status tone is designed for a wired
system? (where they bring the audio back on leased phone lines).

And that doing it that way will require you to run the link TX on a
7x24 basis?  This can get expensive in not only the power bill
but in replacing links TXs (have you verified that you can get the
link frequencies there - one per RX site?).  Which band do you
plan on using for the links? 420MHz, 900MHz or 1296mhz?
What equipment do you plan on using for the main channel
RXs and the link radios??  And do you have spares?  Running
a link TX 7x24x366 just to keep a tone decoder happy will
quickly determine if your link system is "continuous duty"...

>My question is:
>Does anyone have a circuit to generate the status tones or know of a
>reasonably priced commercially available product.  I just don't want to
>re-invent the wheel if someone else has already dealt w/ this.

The GE voter used a 1950hz status tone and there was a board that fit
into the EP-39 aux RX chassis that did just what you want.  If someone
can post that schematic all you need to do is change the cap in the
oscillator to pick up the Moto tone frequency.

There may be a Moto Spectra-Tac card that does the same thing but
I am not aware of the card name or part number.  And there are a lot
more GE manuals on PDF floating around that there are Motorola....

If need be I have a simple audio oscillator design that I can email
you that uses an 88mh toroid and a single transistor.  My first voting
panel used this tone gen feeding the normally closed contacts of
the COR.  The relay armature fed the link TX and the normally open
contacts was the RX audio.  A 10 second carrier delay relay "filled
in the gaps" of tweak signal flutter.  The link RX COR dropping out
told the voting panel that the channel was idle.

>Jamey Wright
>KD4SIY

Mike WA6ILQ

http://mail2web.com/ .