At 08:57 PM 12/3/2004, Paul wrote:
><snip> The only down side that
>I can see is people that don't have a repeater directory in front of them
>would not be able to talk on the repeater.  A ID with a voice announcement
>about the CTCSS tone frequency would/and is going to fix that problem on my
>repeaters.  <snip>
>Paul
<snip>

Russ mentioned the same solution earlier. The only down side is that, as
you pointed out, folks that don't have a directory in front of them can't
key the repeater. If they can't key the repeater, they can't hear the
announcement telling them what the CTCSS tone frequency is.

That's not meant to be an argument against using tone, just pointing out
one of the problems. Two possible solutions are: 1) A common tone defeat
code on DTMF which would allow a transient user to at least access the
repeater long enough to hear the announcement (there are a couple around
here like that, mine being one of them), and 2) Using something like the
LITZ code to retrieve the tone information.

73, Tony W4ZT