Bob M. wrote:

>I found that the 17dB gain was way too much for the receiver, and the noise
>level increased dramatically, to the point that I had to tighten the squelch
>settings.

Think about this for a minute, if the noise level increased, the squelch
circuit would have seen MORE noise and rammed the squelch closed.
What actually happened is, adding a better device in front of the
receiver lowered the receivers total noise figure, decreasing the noise
in the squelch circuit, requiring the squelch pot to be set tighter.
Very common effect.

Kevin