I have been looking at taking a single cavity tuned to TX, and a single
cavity tuned to RX to lessen separation needed.  This for a firepower
installation with no duplexers.

I am also looking at using a VHF Engineering (OK, poor choice) with the
PA Removed and mobile duplexer as a mobile repeater on out Red Cross
Comm. van.  This will yield around 2 watts into the mobile duplexer.  It
should cover a recovery village.

In addition, low power FM broadcast station being considered also.

The experimenting we do in times of calm gives us an idea of what may
work in time of need.

More in line with your idea would be a TX antenna on top of a water
tower and an inverted RX antenna below the tower.  Not near perfect, but
with a pair of the $25.00 Radio Shack scanner antennas, it is an easy
restoration for a repeater lost to storm damage, and using parts that
are easy to store unassembled. There is still that feedline issue to
deal with....

In all of these cases, we are not dealing with perfect solutions.  The
concept is making the best you can with available materials and
remaining infrastructire.

David
KD4NUE