> John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have just had a TKR-820 donated to our group. It came
> with a set of Sinclair cavities.

You folks did real well.  You didn't say the location, but
we/I will assume the cavities are external to the repeater
cabinet.

> But there is no operational manual. Is there any where
> I can find one, I checked the Kenwood site and got nowhere.

Heck, I'm a Kenwood Dealer and I don't even have one. But
the Service Manual is around and copies can still be found
& purchased cheap enough (if not free).  I can tell you
quite a bit about the tkr and tkb radios through direct
emails if you need specific information.

> I assume it has an internal controller

The only way to know for sure is to remove the proper covers
and look inside.  Some of the surplus tkr-820 repeaters as
found sold on ebay these days have had the internal controller
removed to use the repeater with an external trunking unit.

Kirk G. is selling tkr-820's cheap enough on ebay right now,
but they don't include the controller. What a surprise some
buyers are going to have when they learn the repeater is
missing the repeater controller board.

> Anyone here that can walk me thru' operating this.

Sure, but it would be easier to do it via direct email.

> What are the mike connections. How do I make it tx so
> I can find out the tx/rx freq? There is no audio out
> even on unsquelch
> Thanks
> John

It's a standard Kenwood mic connection as shown in the
Service Manual.  You find a mic and key it into a proper
device (a communications service monitor as an example).
I have used/tested mics for sale real cheap if you need
one (I also have new mics for sale) for your repeater,
but it's not required for normal repeat operation.

Or you read the programmed frequencies and ctcss/dcs
codes using the kpg-50 programmer - with the optional
kpg-21 pc (computer) software to make things easy.

The kpt-50 is a stand alone hand held programmer with
a small lcd display and keypad. You can use it with or
without a pc connected to the serial (rs-232) comm port
as an option. Makes it easy to save and install program
data when you use the pc.

If the rear panel acc connector is missing, you won't
hear any speaker audio.

Email me direct John and I'll be happy to help you out.
If you're local to me, I'll reprogram your repeater for
free.

cheers,
skipp
skipp025 at yahoo.com