*From:* Steve Smith <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
*To:* Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com>
*Sent:* Monday, January 01, 2007 10:35 AM
*Subject:* [Repeater-Builder] Re: Solar Powered Mitrek repeater help

Craig,

By my experience, I would suggest you are way under powered. However, it could also be your controller. On my Solar Powered site the 50+ amps produced by the panels are all controlled by WB8VGE's controller kit (with a bigger mosfet). See the Oct. 10, 2001 QST article on how to build your own using his design or buy his unit here:

http://www.theheathkitshop.com/

I've tried a number of different controllers and after years of use I found none that work better than the WB8VGE unit. (disclaimer - I'm not associated with or even know WB8VGE)

A picture is worth a thousand words? Below is a link to a couple of photos of my solar powered site. The current battery numbers are double what you see in the picture to cover long periods of clowds and storms.

http://www.qrz.com/callsign/kc6wrd

-Steve

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com>, "fxbuilder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hello All-
> I've got a Mitrek uhf repeater built and on a hilltop with a cs8200
> controller, 45 watts of solar panel, morningstar 10amp charge
> controller non lvd, and 89ah sealed gel cell battery.  I'm in sunny
> southern california.  This is a low use gmrs outputing 15 watts
> available for emergency use.  I'm finding that my battery is draining
> and not coming back up to full power.  Am I under powered?  what am I
> doing wrong?  Radio connected directly to the battery.
> Craig
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
12:47 PM