In a message dated 2/23/2007 12:00:13 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

It  probably isn't exactly 50 ohms, but should be close. And the cables
from  the duplexer to the radio do NOT *REPEAT* NOT need to be an exact
length.  This again indicates an impedance mismatch in the duplexer and
it should  be retuned. (or a bad antenna/load)

I never suggested that the cable between the TX and the duplexer had to be
an exact length and if the TX output is a true 50 ohms then any cable length
produces no consequence at the cavity input. But if the TX impedance is not 50
ohms,  I think any cable length other than half wave will make the cable a
line transformer affecting  the impedance presented to the cavity with a
quarter wave producing the greatest impedance shift. That's not necessarily a
bad
thing because the impedance match of a random length cable is statistically
as likely to improve the TX/cavity match as it is to degrade it. Diddling
around  with this proved to be so frustrating that I eventually caved in and
installed a  Z-matcher at the TX output and tuned it for maximum cavity output
at
the  pass frequency. It seemed (and seems) to me that this is a cleaner way to
deal  with the matching issue than trying to adjust BP/BR cavities with an
input other  than 50 ohms.

You mentioned that the power adjustment levels would not affect TX output
significantly on an M II or Micor. I'm not familiar with the power control
network they employ but does the collector voltage on the output devices remain

constant during power changes?  If not, how do you avoid significant output
impedance shifts?
http://www.aol.com.