From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 12:15 PM
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Remote Base Antenna

Interesting topic...

On 4/20/07, [EMAIL PROTECTED] < [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:For some reason, none of the repeater controller manufacturers
seem to have incorporated any "real" rotator direction
control functions in their controllers, even though they support
various HF transceivers with control of modes, frequencies, bands,
filters, scanning, memories, etc.

That's interesting.  I did some Googling last night while I was waiting
on a customer to finish swapping a board during a maintenance window,
and I see that there's a couple of standards for Serial control/reading
of rotor controls, and the HyGain protocol seems to be the most
popular.  Would you agree?  I haven't done anything like that yet.

Might be worth putting the protocol on the "wish lists" of the
controller manufacturers that have serial ports...

<snippage...>

If they could do it back in the 1980's, it should be able to be done
now. An HF Remote Base isn't very useful on the upper HF bands without
a directional antenna, and having it fixed in one direction is usually
pointing the wrong direction when you need to use it.

Seems very "do-able" if the controller has a bi-directional serial
port, which many are either already "there" or are going to be soon.
Usually the serial port is tasked with being the way "in" for the
controller to be programmed... but I bet the firmware folks could come
up with interesting hybrid approaches to the re-use of the port for
rotor control when desired.

There's other ways, but the "plug and pray" these days would seem to be
the HyGain serial protocol.  (However the HyGain rotor control that
does the protocol itself gets crappy reviews everywhere... there appear
to be better solutions that use HyGain's protocol.)

We should see if any of the controller manufacturer's pop up with
comments on the list... I can think of some interesting uses for such a
setup on an HF or VHF remote base... and with Auxiliary Station control
now legal on VHF...

Hmm, interesting ...

Nate WY0X

from AOL at AOL.com.