Steve makes a good point...  who's the user base / what's is your audience?
Or if it's going to be for you to experiment with, it's a different
ball game as
the only user will be you, and if it's off for a few days here and
there nobody
is going to complain.  But in that situation it has to be self funded and
repeaters ARE NOT CHEAP.

I got started in the early 1970s with all-tube-based equipment that was
then 15-20 years old, and it hasn't gotten any cheaper.

This web page may be of interest:
<http://www.repeater-builder.com/rbtip/checklist.html>

Mike WA6ILQ