I used to be in the clean everything back to new... camp. About
three years ago I was built some really High-Q tank circuits
for NMR Probe Research. The test equipment I have will clearly
show a relative circuit operational Q.

After a lot of construction and testing I could see that even
mild chemical cleaning a working tank circuit and a connection
re-solder of the wrong type can and would trash the circuit Q
values.

After much testing I could not see a change in circuit Q with
mild surface oxidation built up over time but anyone changing
the circuit around and cleaning surfaces would often spoil the
tank (ruin the circuit).

In the case of duplexer and cavity bottle cleaning... unless there
is pitting on the plunger... I (most of the time) depend on just
the polish action of the internal finger stock run through its
range (up and down) a few times to make sure things/contacts are
working as expected.

Depending on what threaded shaft lubricant you like or trust a
very mild (prudent) amount on the outside moving mechanical
parts might be helpful if you don't overdo it.

cheers,
skipp