There may be a "standard" reference for S-units, but no one actually
follows it. No two radios are the same on that, even within the same
model, let alone across models or brands.

So to say 3dB is a half an S-unit is only going to be valid for one radio.

My experience is that going from 50W to 100W out is more noticeable on
lower bands. It makes a considerable difference on 6M, while on UHF it's
not noticeable to speak of. I have to believe it has to do with
over-the-horizon propagation: While UHF is very line-of-sight, 6M will
propagate beyond, and that extra power will carry farther.
Another way to look at it-on 6M, it will actually give you more range,
where on UHF, it really pretty much just fills in dead spots.
I don't think I'm really using the correct terminology, but you get the
basic idea.

I missed in the original post what band the station in question is on. I
would say if it is 6M, it's definitely worth it. On 2M, it's
questionable, on UHF and up, it's probably not worth it. I've had better
luck getting more "range" on UHF with a higher gain antenna and better
feedline.
--
Jim Barbour
WD8CHL