> Up until some recent interference problems up there, our UHF up
there
> has been known to hear mobiles traveling Interstate 80 through
> Wyoming... but unless they're going north through Denver and we
ask
> them to "stay with us" to see how far they go, they'd never think
> look up our repeaters when headed across Wyoming!
>
> http://www.laramie.org/facts/directions.htm#us287
>
>  From that map, we talked to a mobile who had a 35W UHF radio and
> nice Diamond high-gain antenna from Castle Rock to 5 miles East of
> Laramie, WY -- via the I-25 north to I-80 route on our single UHF
high-
> site repeater, with the only drop-out being down in the hole where
> Cheyenne, WY sits.

> Laramie is 140 miles away.   http://www.laramie.org/facts/
>
> (By the way... these two "facts" on that web page are inter-
related...
> just for fun... since we're all computer geeks here...
> • Laramie is traversed by 2 nationwide fiber optic carriers & 1
> digital microwave route
> • Union Pacific Railroad mainline operates over 55 freight trains
on a
> daily basis through Laramie
> Guess where the fiber runs along?)

Only 2 fiber lines? MCI,AT&T,Sprint,Enron(or whoever has it now)..Saw
them all go in both sides of the tracks...

> He wasn't copyable for about 5 minutes, but he hung in there to
see
> what the repeater would do.  He was "hill-topping" as he climbed
the
> pass out of Cheyenne with short drop-outs behind hills, as he
traveled
> up into the forest and up to the top of the ridge above Laramie he
got
> better and better, then he was gone...

 5 mi east of Laramie is the Summit, highest point on I-80, where on
can see the statue of Lincoln looking down on the road...

> If I ever move away from here, I'm going to wonder what the heck
is
> wrong with my VHF/UHF mobiles, if I end up somewhere in the flat-
> land.  I'll think they're broken!
>
> --
> Nate Duehr, WY0X
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 I live 99 mi to the west of Laramie, and there used to be a statwide
link here also. Politics, personal problems, lack of interest and it
went away. Just a few sections left.
 A few of us up here have looked into trying to get into a system
like the Connection (which we can hear the Walden machine), just a
lack of local support. Just a few of us do all the work...The rest
complain or make demands with little or no support...

 Have a happy Turkey Day everyone....I have to go to work...

 73
 Mike - N7ZEF