Paul Choc (WA5IHL) put up his system (Megalink) after
Milt Jensen (N5IA) and associates operated the ZIA
Connection for years that covered New Mexico, Southern
Arizona, and Southern California.  No operator
controls were necessary and the sites stayed connected
all the time.

As I recall the instructions for the ZIA Connection,
if a QSO occured between two stations at the same
location, it was recommended to move off the ZIA to a
local coverage repeater and leave the ZIA for QSOs
between different repeaters.  In the 80s and 90s when
the ZIA was going strong, it was quite busy and this
type operation was necessary.

As I recall, it was also recommended that a Cactus
Intertie repeater (Jacks Peak Club in New Mexico) be
taken off link if a local QSO was in progress.  Some
of the controllers were programmed to automatically
put the local node back on link a specified time after
it was taken off link.

73 - Jim  W5ZIT

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs