Other things to think about...

Probably the more practical "bang for your buck" help would
be a very High-Q notch network/cavity placed in the 900 MHz
antenna system. The better High-Q network option is most
often found to be larger diameter cavities and/or a
combination of more than one cavity.

A proper notch cavity (single port - internal probe/loop)
would/should also have a much desired dc return to ground.

A high-q vhf notch cavity placed into the 900MHz antenna
system to "suck-out/reduce" most (in the real world not
all) of the broadcast station energy/power.

Coaxial stubs are a nice idea but not so easily applied into
900MHz antenna system without introduction of unwanted impedance
bumps. So nothing less than rigid line is desired and the
resultant Q might (using anything other than a very high-q
cavity) not be enough for your specific problem.

Your friend should go back to square-one to try and confirm
the problem source is exclusive to the receiver antenna port.
Many people are surprised to find the reported gremlin is
traced back to multiple sources/paths within the repeater
system. Large amounts of local rf-power seeks all inbound
paths... every wire, every conductive path you can picture
and many non-electronic conductors you can't imagine would
be part of the big picture.

... and some of those sources are not so easily remedied.

cheers,
skipp

> "Paul Plack" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> I'm posting this with all due respect to those who disagreed with an
earlier post, and in the hopes of discovering any error I might be
perpetuating.

> A few weeks ago, a member of the group was asking for help with
interference on the input of a 900-MHz ham repeater from a co-located
FM broadcast station. Among the possible remedies discussed were
coaxial stub filters on the receiver's transmission line. One of the
initial proposals was an open, 1/4-wave stub tuned for the FM
broadcast frequency, fed on a coaxial T-connector. This is, indeed, a
common method to "trap" a particular frequency.

> I set forth that this wouldn't work, as the desired pass frequency
was too near the 9th harmonic of the trap, which means it, too, would
be attenuated. (These traps are VERY wide when fed on a T-connector,
and work at all odd harmonics of the fundamental.) The open 1/4-wave
coax trap, sometimes called a "suck-out trap," is best suited to a
case in which the reject frequency is at least double the desired pass
frequency, to avoid attenuation of the operating frequency itself.

> I proposed that better success might be achieved with a shorted,
1/2-wave stub tuned for the 900 MHz receive frequency, which would be
nearly invisible at the 900 MHz pass frequency, but provide 20+ dB of
attenuation at most frequencies below about 450 MHz. I did this based
on experience not only using such shorted traps, but also after much
past experimentation with my Wavetek sweep generator.

> Two subsequent posts took issue with my suggestion. One, from a
member claiming engineering credentials, suggested my trap would
appear as a "dead short" on the operating frequency, and that a
shorted quarter-wave trap was the correct method. No supporting theory
was offered.

> Another post suggested that a shorted 3/4-wave trap was correct,
based on recollection of an instructor's comment.

> I've built and used several of these 1/2-wave traps, but it's been a
few years, and I didn't want to dispute these comments until I'd gone
back and made some actual measurements. I'd drop the matter, but this
is too useful a technique to have it discredited unfairly.

> I still have the sweep generator, but not a scope, so I put my MFJ
259B analyzer, a 50-ohm dummy load, and a 41-inch piece of RG-8M
(1/2-wave cut for 2m) on a T connector and look at SWR and impedance.

> Here are the resulting measurements of resistance, reactance, and SWR:
>
> 146.15 MHz (Shorted 1/2-wave): R=47, X=2, SWR=1.0 (Virtually
unchanged from the dummy load alone)
> 73.08 MHz (Shorted 1/4-wave): R=23, X=20, SWR=2.4 (Z= about 31 ohms)
> 73.08 MHz (Open 1/4-wave): R=25, X=26, SWR=2.7 (Z= about 38 ohms)
> 146.15 MHz (Open 1/2-wave): R=3, X=1, SWR=12.0 (Z= about 3 ohms)
>
> 152.8 MHz (Open 1/2-wave): R=2, X=8, SWR=21.1 (Z= about 9 ohms.
Note: This was the SWR peak, higher in frequency than the "shorted"
frequency in part because the braid was folded back, instead of
connected to the tip of the center conductor.)

> The readings at 146.15 MHz, coax shorted, were nearly identical with
my 2m ground plane attached in place of the dummy load.

> Note that the only arrangement which looks like a "dead short" is
the open 1/2-wave stub.

> The bandwidth of the shorted 1/2-wave trap on the dummy load was
about 12 MHz for and SWR of 1.2 or less on 2m. Note that this trap
would be plenty wide for use on the antenna side of a duplexer. (The
corresponding 900 MHz version would theoretically be 45+ MHz wide
given the same Q.) It also puts the feedline at DC ground, and serves
as a crude high-pass filter below its fundamental frequency.

> It was explained to me by a cavity guru who first showed me this
trick that the reflected energy in the shorted section returns to the
T-connector at near-equal amplitude, and in phase, with the original
signal. If the coax was lossless and the connectors perfect, the
impedance of the stub at the pass frequency would be infinite, making
it truly invisible in the system.

> In short, (no pun intended,) these measurements look just like what
I've seen for years on my sweep gen. If you can demonstrate where I'm
wrong here, based on actual data, please elaborate. If you're not
sure, please cut one yourself and measure it.