wd8chl wrote:

> Good. D-Star and other digital voice modes do NOT need more spectrum on 2M.
> 
> If a digital voice mode does not have some sort of provision for 
> monitoring for non-digital activity, or preventing transmission if there 
> is any, it needs to be redesigned, as it can easily be considered 
> illegal. P25 has it.

The requirement for repeaters to monitor their output frequency was 
dropped years ago Jim, if that's where you're headed.  A D-STAR repeater 
  doesn't monitor for non-digital activity, and neither does a modern 
analog repeater monitor for someone talking on the output frequency.

(Yes, there were once requirements long before I was even a ham to do 
so, as I've learned from others.)

As far as user rigs go, the Icom D-STAR user rigs do have the ability to 
do a busy channel lockout on both analog and digital signals.  So that's 
covered.  Just like SOME P25 rigs.  (Remember D-STAR is just an open 
protocol, Icom just happens to be the only manufacturer making them 
right now.  A ham in Japan has built a fully-working D-STAR interface to 
hook to his FT-817 that works just fine also.)

Your assertion that ALL P25 rigs do busy channel lockout, is flat out 
wrong.  Some do it, some can be programmed to do it, and others can be 
programed to completely ignore analog signals.  I can program the one 
I'm using to lock out the PTT on signals received, or just to mash over 
the top of anything being received, and most P25 rigs are the same way.

The situations where AUTOMATED digital operations are a problem is in 
bands where no coordination and/or no room is available for multiple 
modes to have their own "dedicated" spectrum (HF, primarily).  Where the 
spectrum is shared by multiple digital and other modes, problems occur 
between automated and non-automated operations.

Repeaters have been coordinated for decades now to avoid such problems, 
since they're fixed assets that can't "easily" be moved.  So if you're 
talking about repeaters -- since this is the RB list after all -- I'm 
not sure what you're grousing about.

I grump about certain automated digital stations on HF, but grumping 
about someone else's coordinated repeater, sitting there in its own 
coordinated frequency, not bothering you... seems odd.  Almost like 
you're mixing your opinions of digital modes with your technical 
assessment, which isn't even accurate about the mode you're comparing with?

With all of the above said, I too applaud the FCC for not making the 
repeater sub-band bigger.  As a weak-signal/satellite/everything else 
enthusiast BESIDES being a "repeater guy", I see no compelling reason to 
let repeaters of any kind "take over" 2m.

Move on up... plenty of room on the upper bands.  Around here..

2m = Full
220 = Underutilized
70cm = Almost full
900 MHz = Wide open
1.2 GHz = Wide open

5 Bands all generally suitable for local communications, 3 of them 
empty.  I think I see the problem.  (GRIN)

Nate WY0X

Reply via email to