Nate Duehr wrote:
> On May 11, 2008, at 10:13 PM, wd8chl wrote:
> 
>> That's what I was headed towards. The original post of the FCC answer
>> (the part I quoted) seemed to lead that the petitioners were  
>> requesting
>> additional repeater spectrum partially based on D-Star users not being
>> able to determine if a frequency was in use by another mode. That is
>> decidedly NOT a legitimate concern! There needs to be means to  
>> determine
>> that there is other traffic on the frequency, somehow.
> 
> 
> No there doesn't... unless analog systems are going to start doing it  
> also.  Coordination is key.  (And if that means there are no suitable  
> pairs, then there are no suitable pairs.  I have no problem with that.)
> 
> And the analog systems are also monitoring their outputs in carrier  
> squelch too?

Again-talking about the user radios, not the repeaters.

>>> Your assertion that ALL P25 rigs do busy channel lockout, is flat out
>>> wrong.
>> I never said that. I said that they all have some means of monitoring
>> the channel for activity. Most have the 'dual-mode' feature I  
>> mentioned,
>> most DO have BCL (but MOST don't have it programmed), and all at least
>> have either a hangup clip function for mobiles, or a monitor button  
>> next
>> to the PTT for handhelds.
> 
> 
> Ahh, okay.
> 
> I guess that's where we're disagreeing, or missing each other.   Even  
> if the repeaters, rigs, and what-have you... HAVE a busy-channel- 
> lockout feature, no one is using them.  So there's really no need to  
> add it to D-STAR rigs, if no one else using the spectrum needs the  
> feature.

Well, the fact that no one s sing it (like they SHOULD be doing), 
doesn't make it right to not include it.  If a user in the commercial 
world keeps trouncing on other users, and it causes a problem, they can 
be cited, and it has happened. The same can apply to hams too. If a D* 
user(s) trounce on analog users, the analog users can complain, and the 
D* users will be at fault.

> So the whole thing is a moot point, and it was a misguided way for the  
> petitioners to argue their case.  (One of the many reasons it went  
> down in flames, I'm sure.)  I think we both definitely agree on THAT!   
> (GRIN)

Absoultely! This definitely did NOT come from someone with experience in 
commercial-probably little to no experience above 29 MHz!

Reply via email to