Nate Duehr wrote: > wd8chl wrote: > >> Good. D-Star and other digital voice modes do NOT need more spectrum on 2M. >> >> If a digital voice mode does not have some sort of provision for >> monitoring for non-digital activity, or preventing transmission if there >> is any, it needs to be redesigned, as it can easily be considered >> illegal. P25 has it. > > The requirement for repeaters to monitor their output frequency was > dropped years ago Jim, if that's where you're headed.
No, it wasn't. A D-STAR repeater > doesn't monitor for non-digital activity, and neither does a modern > analog repeater monitor for someone talking on the output frequency. No, only concerned with end-user radios. > (Yes, there were once requirements long before I was even a ham to do > so, as I've learned from others.) I think I heard that too-but I don't know repeaters here that ever did it! > As far as user rigs go, the Icom D-STAR user rigs do have the ability to > do a busy channel lockout on both analog and digital signals. So that's > covered. Just like SOME P25 rigs. (Remember D-STAR is just an open > protocol, Icom just happens to be the only manufacturer making them > right now. A ham in Japan has built a fully-working D-STAR interface to > hook to his FT-817 that works just fine also.) That's what I was headed towards. The original post of the FCC answer (the part I quoted) seemed to lead that the petitioners were requesting additional repeater spectrum partially based on D-Star users not being able to determine if a frequency was in use by another mode. That is decidedly NOT a legitimate concern! There needs to be means to determine that there is other traffic on the frequency, somehow. > > Your assertion that ALL P25 rigs do busy channel lockout, is flat out > wrong. I never said that. I said that they all have some means of monitoring the channel for activity. Most have the 'dual-mode' feature I mentioned, most DO have BCL (but MOST don't have it programmed), and all at least have either a hangup clip function for mobiles, or a monitor button next to the PTT for handhelds.

