So throwing in an RX pre-amp wouldn't help much either, then...  hehehehe

Thanks, Bob!
Mark - N9WYS

-----Original Message-----
From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, June 07, 2008 11:35 AM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Repeater-Builder] Re: antenna suggestions for 440mhz

At 6/7/2008 08:22, you wrote:

>In fear of moving off topic... I'd like to ask how one can determine the
>electrical downtilt of an antenna?
>
>I just put into service a RSF/Celwave Super StationmasterR Model 10017-6
>that is designed for 925-960 MHz on my 927.5250 repeater. The added gain
>factor of the antenna (an additional 4dBd over what was previously in place
>- a Decibel DB586-Y) does not seem to benefit the receive (at 902 MHz). I
>gained what seems like a little extra receive range, but not equal to what
>seem to have gained in transmit coverage.

Downtilt shouldn't vary too much between TX & RX freqs.  What's probably
happening is that the increased gain is resulting in increased noise pickup
from the horizon as well as signal.  Changes in gain directly affect your
transmit ERP, but they don't necessarily translate directly into increased
RX range depending on where the noise is.

Slightly related: I once maintained a repeater at a residential mountain
site with lots of elevation but no clear view to the ground (trees in the
way).  The site RF characteristics on 2 meters were somewhat like an RF
"black hole": RF could get in but was hard to get out.  We needed ~200
watts of TX power on the repeater to balance TX & RX with a 50 watt mobile
user.  I believe the reason was foliage absorption combined with a high
noise floor down below.  Around here antenna noise temperatures on 2 meters
are typically ~3000 K.  However this site had much lower noise - it's the
only site around here where adding a preamp to a G.E. receiver resulted in
actual system sensitivity improvement.  So with biological attenuation
surrounding the site, both signal & noise approaching the site were
attenuated.  With the low noise RX, the net reduction in S/N due to the
attenuation was minimal.  However, the attenuation directly reduced the TX
signal leaving the site.  So the net effect was the site "heard" OK but
TXing out was difficult.

Bob NO6B