On Jul 26, 2008, at 7:36 PM, Tom wrote:

> Dear Repeater-Builder administrators:
> I've got a few things to say along the lines of this post.  They are
> not only off topic, they are clearly discouraged in the intro. page of
> the site: HOWEVER, I believe they now need to be said.  In spite of
> this, I will respectfully defer to your judgement on this. Should I
> respond on this thread, begin a new thread or refrain from comment
> altogether?
> Tom

The intro page of what site?  http://www.repeater-builder.com/rbtip/
-- says nothing about this.

Sorry Tom.  I guess you missed that last paragraph of the post.  I
guess you think I'm out to cause you harm in some way that a delete
key won't remedy?   Don't be mad.  It's e-mail for goodness sakes.

Serious question:

Do you filter mailing lists into folders so you can read them at your
leisure, or do you have them cluttering your inbox?  I'm not asking to
be a smart-ass, I'm asking because I think a LOT of hams out there
sign up for mailing lists and have them coming into the Inbox with
little knowledge of the tools available to them to filter and handle
mail of different priorities at different times, and it often "sets
them off" when a topic is slightly questionable.

This hurts community building on lists, in that certainly no harm was
meant by my posting -- but if you were expecting only dead-on repeater
building 100% of the time from a list with a lot of people who enjoy
each other's "online company"... having the side-conversations hit
your Inbox might drive you crazy -- and then our thread turns into a
"problem" for the list owners.  Seen it happen thousands of times.

Other questions that come to mind, trying to be cognizant of who's
here and what they expect from mailing lists... how long have you been
a list member, and what's your callsign?  The former is a question to
see if you're familiar with how mailing lists have worked for years
and years, or if you're reacting out of "newbie shock".

The latter is because I don't really enjoy (and many people here
don't) communicating on civilized lists with anonymous folks, and
since you complained about me -- it'd be nicer to know who you are
than not.  But whatever... it's the Internet.  People hide behind
keyboards, that's normal... and maybe you're here in the commercial
repeater "audience" for the list and not a ham.  That's cool too.  Me,
I'm just a ham...  as are most of the active members of this
particular "online community" here at RB, I think.

Apologies to the list for asking here, but I don't get into this type
of thing off-list with someone I don't know -- have had that go really
badly including one wacko in the UK who decided he was offended by me
asking him questions who took the effort to try to hunt down my BOSS
at my real job, and tell him what a bad person I was.  My boss laughed
his butt off at that one, said he'd had a similar experience with an
Internet wacko, and nothing came of it -- but when dealing with those
upset with me on mailing lists nowadays, I keep the questions and
discussion in public view.

Everyone, please just let Tom respond and don't create a huge thread
out of this one for Kevin and Scott to have to police, though -- please.

Sorry my message caused such a reaction from you Tom.  It wasn't meant
to.  I was just explaining why I made the comment about the "class"
caption on the photo, is all.  Too many people out there who want to
keep that silliness going.  Not me.

--
Nate Duehr, WY0X